- I have a few more sauces to write about this year.
- Gherkin sauce is Ogórkowy sos in Polish.
- It is quite simple to make and can be made all year round.
- It goes well with fish and also light meat such as roast chicken or pork.
- 1 onion – chopped fine
- 2 medium gherkins – chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- 250ml of vegetable stock
- Sugar to taste – optional
- Fry the onions gently in the butter till golden.
- Add the flour, mix and cook for a few minutes.
- Slowly add the vegetable stock.
- Stir until the sauce thickens and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the gherkins and cook for a few minutes.
- Add a little sugar to taste.
- Serve hot.
Illustration – by Czesław Wielhorski from my Kuchnia Polska book – first published in the 1950s.
- Super with fish!