This chilled soup is a refreshing start to a meal in summer.
Beetroot concentrate is used in this easy version.
- Half a cucumber
- Spring onion – green parts or chives
- 500ml of yoghurt or 300ml soured cream & lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of beetroot concentrate
- Handful of dill
- Lemon juice and cold water
- Salt & Pepper & Sugar to taste
- Hard boiled eggs to serve – ½ egg per person
- Part peel the cucumber length-ways to give stripes.
- Chop the cucumber into small cubes.
- Chop the spring onions or chives into small pieces.
- Chop the dill into small pieces.
- Mix the yoghurt or soured cream & lemon juice with the beetroot concentrate.
- Thin this down with lemon juice and water to suit.
- Mix with the chopped cucumber.
- Add dill and spring onions or chives.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Chill in the fridge for several hours.
- Serve with quarters of hard boiled eggs and a sprinkle of chives.
Served in Tapestry by Royal Doulton – 1966 – 1988