I posted a recipe for an orange cake over a year ago – it was made with sunflower oil and yoghurt.
Whilst looking through my box of recipes I came across this recipe, which I had not made for a while.
This orange cake is made in a large loaf tin and has a sticky glaze poured over it once it is baked.
- 225g self raising flour
- 75g butter
- 125 caster sugar
- 50g mixed peel
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 2 oranges – grated rind and 3 tablespoons of juice
- 3 tablespoons of orange juice and 40g icing sugar for the glaze
- Use a cake liner to line a large loaf tin.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM4 – 180°C.
- Rub the butter into the flour until you have “breadcrumbs”.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Stir in the mixed peel and fine grated orange rind.
- Mix in the egg, milk and juice.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Place the orange juice and icing sugar into a small saucepan.
- Mix well and whilst stirring bring it up to the boil.
- Spoon the glaze gently over the cake surface.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin.
Tea set – Lyndale by Royal Standard from the 1950s.
Serving plate by Burleigh Ware – Burges & Leigh Ltd – Blue Mist from the 1930s.