- I made a lovely apricot and prune keks – fruit cake – several months ago.
- I still had a lot of dried apricots so decided to make this just with apricots.
- This time I made it in a 21 centimetre square tin
- It too was delicious.
You have to start this cake the night before.
- 385g dried apricots
- 100ml hot Earl Grey tea
- 100ml sherry
- 115g currants
- 115g sultanas
- 115g raisins
- 50g mixed peel
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 150g butter
- 2 eggs
- 185g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of mixed spice
- Chop the apricots into small pieces.
- Place them into a bowl and pour the hot tea over them.
- Leave until this is cold.
- Add the sherry, cover and leave overnight.
- Add the other dried fruits to the soaked apricots and mix well.
- Grease and line all sides of a 21 cm square tin
- Pre-heat the oven to GM 1- 140°C
- Mix the flour with the mixed spices.
- Cream the sugar and butter till well blended.
- Add the eggs and mix well together.
- Fold in the flour mixture.
- Add the dried fruits and mix well together.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth down the top.
- Bake for 3 – 3¼ hours.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
You can use a 24cm tin – and bake for 2 – 2¼ hours.