This is my 450 post – I hope everyone enjoys reading them – I love doing the research, cooking and writing.
- My mother used to make an orange sponge cake with orange icing.
- This was one of my favourite cakes.
- This is a fancier version, sandwiched with orange butter cream with orange icing on top.
- I made a small version but it is easy enough make a larger version.
Orange Cake – Ingredients
- 2 Eggs – weight in shells
- Equal weight of:
- Caster Sugar
- Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 30ml orange juice.
Orange Cake – Method
- Grease and line the base of 18cm sandwich tins.
- Weigh the eggs and then the other ingredients.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the orange rind.
- Add the eggs, one by one whisking until the mixture is light and fluffy again.
- Stir in the orange juice.
- Add the baking powder to the flour.
- Sieve the flour.
- Fold in the flour with a metal spoon taking not to over mix the mixture and knock out all the air.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 prepared tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for around 20 to 25 minutes.
- The cakes should be golden brown and be clean when a cake tester is used.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Make sure the cake is completely cold before assembly.
Note – You need 1 large orange or 2 small oranges for the butter cream & icing
Orange Butter Cream – Ingredients
- 50g butter (unsalted is best)
- 100g icing sugar (approx)
- Grated rind of ½ large orange (or 1 small)
- 1 tablespoons of orange juice
Orange Butter Cream – Method
- Cream the butter and icing sugar.
- Add the rind and juice and mix well.
- Adjust thickness with icing sugar if necessary.
Orange Icing – Ingredients
- 100g icing sugar (approx)
- 1 tablespoon of orange juice
- Grated rind of ½ large orange (or 1 small orange)
Orange Icing – Method
- Mix the juice and the rind .
- Mix together with the icing sugar till smooth and thick.
- Adjust the icing for top of cake or thick as a dripped down glaze.
Assembling the Cake
- Do this when the cake is cold.
- Save all the juice not required in the cake, buttercream and icing.
- Divide the juice into two.
- Place one round of cake onto a serving plate.
- Skewer the cake with a wooden BBQ skewer
- Spoon half of the orange juice over the top of the cake.
- Leave for 5 minutes.
- Spread the orange butter cream over the cake.
- Place the second round of the cake on top.
- Skewer the top with a wooden BBQ skewer.
- Spoon the rest of the orange juice over the top of the cake.
- Leave for a 5 minutes.
- Spread the spread the orange icing over the top of the cake.
- Served on Cake Plates by Allertons Ltd Pattern Number ALL5
3 thoughts on “Orange Tort”
I love reading your post! Please keep them up.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love doing the research, cooking and writing. I intend to go on for ages as I have MANY recipes to try out. So glad you like it,
LikeLiked by 2 people
It shows that enjoy it!