- This is a chocolate cake with orange butter cream.
- I adapted a chocolate cake recipe from a BeRo cook book.
- Use a chocolate or chocolate orange glaze on the top.
- You could double the ingredients – use bigger diameter tins or make a 4 layer tort.
Chocolate Cake – Ingredients
- 200g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 225g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 25g cocoa powder
- 100g butter
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons of evaporated milk
- 5 tablespoons of water
- Grated rind of 1 orange*
- * save the juice for later
- Pre-heat the oven to GM4 – 180°C.
- Grease and line the base of 2 x 20cm tins.
- Rub the butter into the flour.
- Add the baking powder, salt and cocoa.
- Mix well together.
- Mix the eggs, milk, water and orange rind together.
- Mix the liquid into the dry ingredients.
- Beat well.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 tins.
- Smooth the tops level.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before assembling.
Orange Butter Cream – Ingredients
- 100g butter (unsalted is best)
- 200g icing sugar
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoon of orange juice
Orange Butter Cream – Method
- Cream the butter and icing sugar.
- Add the rind and juice and mix well.
- Melt 80g of dark chocolate (or dark chocolate with orange) with 40g of butter in a bowl over hot water.
- You could add grated orange rind to the dark chocolate.
- You would need to use another orange and will have some juice left.
Assembling the Cake
- Place one round of cake onto a serving plate.
- Spoon half of the orange juice over the top of the cake.
- Spread the orange butter cream over the cake.
- Place the second round of the cake on top.
- Spoon the rest of the orange juice over the top of the cake.
- Leave for a few minutes.
- Make the chocolate glaze.
- Spread the chocolate glaze over the top of the cake.