- This cake is not really a Polish recipe but it is well liked in my family.
- The instructions for the original recipe said to make this in a large loaf tin.
- However I think it is much better baked as a round cake.
- 225g dried dates
- Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- 150ml of boiling water
- 75g butter
- 75g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 75g of walnuts- chopped
- Grease and line a 20cm circular tin – or use a cake liner.
- Chop the dates and put them into a bowl.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour on the boiling water and mix.
- Leave till cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM 4 – 180°C
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Mix the baking powder with the flour and stir this in.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Stir in the dates.
- Mix well together.
- Spoon into the baking tin – smooth the top with a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes
- Leave to cool in the tin.
2 thoughts on “Date & Walnut Cake”
Looks so yummy !!
Must try this !