- I thought that this soup would be excellent for Good Friday.
- The base is a simple vegetable soup with mainly “green” vegetables and a few carrots.
- You can vary the vegetables that you use.
- Any white fish will be good and you just need small pieces.
- Where my late father used to live the small river formed part of the border between the then Poland and Russia.
- He would often catch river fish, which he really liked.
- I am sure he would have enjoyed this soup.
- 150g white fish (Basa, Cod or Haddock)
- 1 onion
- 2 leeks
- 2 sticks of celery
- ½ tin of sweetcorn
- 1 large carrot
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1½ litres of vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of soured cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chop up the onion and leeks.
- Fry them gently in the butter.
- Chop the celery into thin slices.
- Chop the carrots into small pieces.
- Mix all the vegetables together and add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer till nearly soft.
- Cut the fish into small pieces and add them to the soup.
- Simmer till the fish is cooked.
- Stir in the soured cream.
- Season to taste.
Optional – If you use more fish you can serve this more as a main dish .