- This is a creamier sauce than gherkin sauce – version 1.
- Once again simple to make.
- Goes well with cooked white fish or roast chicken or pork.
- The tangy taste is refreshing in the summer.
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 125ml liquor from gherkins
- 3 medium gherkins – chopped fine or coarse grated
- 125ml soured cream
- Sugar to taste – optional
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the flour – mix and cook gently.
- Add the stock and gherkin liquor slowly.
- Mix and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the gherkins and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir whilst this cooks.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Stir in the soured cream before serving.
Illustration – by Czesław Wielhorski from my Kuchnia Polska book – first published in the 1950s.
- Super with cooked white fish!