- This is a creamier sauce than gherkin sauce – version 1.
- Once again simple to make.
- Goes well with cooked white fish or roast chicken or pork.
- The tangy taste is refreshing in the summer.
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 125ml liquor from gherkins
- 3 medium gherkins – chopped fine or coarse grated
- 125ml soured cream
- Sugar to taste – optional
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the flour – mix and cook gently.
- Add the stock and gherkin liquor slowly.
- Mix and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the gherkins and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir whilst this cooks.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Stir in the soured cream before serving.
Illustration – by Czesław Wielhorski from my Kuchnia Polska book – first published in the 1950s.
- Super with cooked white fish!
One thought on “Gherkin Sauce – 2”
Very much reminds me off the gherkin sauce/gravy that my parents cooked to go with our beef Rouladen and braised pork. They always used their own homemade gherkins.
My dad come from Poland, my Mum came from what is now the Czech Republic
LikeLiked by 1 person