- 1 onion
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1- 1½ tablespoons of plain flour
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon of ground allspice
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Chop the onions into small pieces.
- Start to fry in the butter- gently at first – stirring all the time.
- Bring up the heat and allow the onions to brown – even slightly char.
- Sprinkle the flour over and stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the allspice.
- Slowly add the stock and stir whilst the sauce thickens.
- Simmer gently for a few minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Stir in the lemon juice before serving.
Serve hot with roast darker meats or kotlety mielone – Polish large meatballs/ burgers.