The Polish for these is kotlety z jarzyn – cutlets from vegetables.
The word kotlety(plural) comes from the Italian word cotoletta(singular) for cutlet or chop.
These are made with boiled or steamed vegetables.
Root vegetables are good here as well as cooked cabbage – you can also add cooked pulses such as peas and beans – I am writing a post just about bean fritters which will be posted soon.
The following vegetable are ones I often use: cabbage, carrots, celeriac, cauliflower, parsnip and potato.
The cooked vegetables need to be chopped fine, minced or mashed – whichever is more suitable or easiest.
For this post I cooked the vegetables especially but this is a good way to use up any leftover cooked vegetables.
- Around 500g of cooked vegetables – chopped, mashed or minced as appropriate.
- 2 onions – chopped fine
- Butter to fry the onions
- 1 egg (can add another egg yolk as well)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of potato flour – depends on how moist or starchy the vegetables are.
- Salt & pepper
- Dried Breadcrumbs
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Extras – you can add chopped parsley, dill or chives or any other herbs you like.
Chop fine, mash or mince the vegetables as appropriate.
Chop the onions and fry them gently in butter till golden and leave to cool.
- Mix the vegetables and the onion together.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Add enough potato flour to make the mixture fairly stiff.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Put dried breadcrumbs on a board or large plate.
- Make largish balls of the mixture and flatten them onto the breadcrumbs, turn them over and cover all the sides.
- Fry them gently in hot sunflower oil.
- You can keep them warm on a baking tray in the oven whilst making the rest.
I like these reheated – Place them on a baking tray into a pre-heated hot oven GM6 200°C for around 15 minutes.
The combinations are endless – here are some ideas ….
Cauliflower & Spring Onions or Chives
As in the instructions above with the addition of chopped spring onion (the green part) or chives.
Carrot & Parsnip
Carrot, Potato & Peas