Sauerkraut & Mushrooms is often one of the dishes for Wigilia (Christmas Eve) when meat is not eaten.
- 1 large jar of sauerkraut – around 800 – 900g.
- 20 – 30g of dried mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of plain flour
- Butter or oil for frying the onion
- Ground black pepper
- The acidity of sauerkraut varies very much and homemade is often not as acid.
- Rinsing bottled sauerkraut before use will lower the acidity.
- The amount of sugar you add to the dish is a personal preference – if rinsed 1 tablespoon should be enough – if not rinsed you might need around 3 tablespoons.
The evening before you want to make this dish place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and cover them with boiling water and leave them overnight.
- Cut the reconstituted mushrooms into strips.
- Put the strips and the liquor into a saucepan and simmer them for around 5 minutes.
- Drain the sauerkraut and keep the liquid (you might want to use it to adjust the acidity of the dish).
- Rinse the sauerkraut with cold water.
- Place the sauerkraut in a large saucepan and pour boiling water over it until it just covers it.
- Add the sugar.
- Bring to the boil and then cover the saucepan with a lid and let it gently simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the sauerkraut and mix together.
- Continue heating either gently on top of the stove or put the pan with the lid into a low to medium oven.
- Cook until the sauerkraut is soft.
- Fry the onions until they are golden.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and heat gently to brown the flour.
- Add spoonfuls of liquid from the sauerkraut mixture to the onion mix.
- Stir and heat to form a thickening roux/paste.
- Add this to the sauerkraut mixture and mix throughly .
- You can then serve this straight away or put it back in the oven for around 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle ground black pepper on the top before serving.
- Served here in Carnation by Royal Doulton, 1982 – 1998.
- Serve with rye bread or boiled potatoes and hot roast pork or cooked Polish sausages.
- For Wigilia (Christmas Eve ) this would just be served as a separate dish.
2 thoughts on “Sauerkraut & Mushrooms”