- Cabbage and mushrooms are a classic combination in Polish cookery.
- Recipes abound for combinations using fresh cabbage through to sauerkraut, cultivated or wild mushrooms – fresh or dried – the list is endless.
- Recently I wrote about kulebiak a large Polish pastry, which had a filling of fresh cabbage and fresh mushrooms.
- This filling can be served hot as a side dish – it goes well with hot roast meats.
- Small head of white cabbage or sweetheart cabbage.
- 250 -300g of mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 100g of butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional – 2-3 hard boiled eggs
- Shred and then chop the cabbage into small pieces.
- Chop the onion into small pieces.
- Chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Melt half the butter in a large deep frying pan.
- Slowly cook the onions and the cabbage but do not brown.
- Cover with a lid and let them simmer till they are both soft.
- Stir occasionally – you might need to add a little hot water.
- In another pan melt the rest of the butter and fry the mushrooms.
- Add the mushrooms to the cabbage and onion mixture and mix well.
- Heat gently together to remove most of the excess liquid.
- Season to taste.
- Sprinkle the chopped hard boiled eggs on top – optional.
- Serve hot.
You might want to look at an earlier post for Sauerkraut & Mushrooms