I stayed in Derbyshire (home of the Bakewell Tart) in 2018 and I came across a recipe for a cake using yoghurt which I adapted and this was posted as Placek – Derbyshire Inspired.
This is a variation I tried out using almonds.
I used Greek style full fat yoghurt – If using my own yoghurt I would strain it a little so it becomes thicker.
- 250g butter or block margarine
- 225g caster sugar
- 150ml of Greek style yoghurt (full fat)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 a teaspoon of almond essence
- 230g self raising flour
- 50g of ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- Sour cherry jam or other slightly tart jam
- 50g of flaked almonds
- Grease and line 22 x 32 baking tin – use 1 piece of greaseproof to do the 2 long sides and base.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM4 – 180°C
- Place the flaked on a tray and pop them under the grill for a few minutes to toast them.
- Mix together the yoghurt, eggs and almond essence
- Mix together the flour, ground almonds and the baking powder.
- Beat together the butter and sugar .
- Add the yoghurt, egg and essence mixture and beat well.
- Add the flour mixture and beat till you have a unified smooth mixture.
- Using a big spoon and spatula put the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Carefully take the cake out of the oven and place large teaspoon ‘blobs’ of jam on the top – I did 12 teaspoons at even intervals.
- Cover the top with the toasted almonds and quickly put it back in the oven.
- Bake for around another 25 – 30 minutes.
- Place on a cooking rack and leave until it is cold to take out of the tin.
- Cut into squares or rectangles to serve.
Served on teaplates by Wedgwood, Hathaway Rose – 1959 -1987