Recently I have been watching my box set of Fawlty Towers DVDs, which is still so amusing after all these years.
Whilst watching the episode with the American guest and the Waldorf salad – when famously Basil Fawlty says “I think we’re just out of waldorfs” – I thought must try that!
I needed a salad for dinner but realised I did not have all the ingredients so decided to make a similar salad with the ingredients I had.
I will get all the ingredients for a real Waldorf salad and make that soon.
- Half a white or sweetheart cabbage
- 2 eating apples – I used Braeburn*
- 100g of walnuts – chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons of mayonnaise – full fat is best
- Shred and chop the cabbage into fine pieces.
- Core the apples and chop into small pieces.
- Mix the cabbage, apples and walnuts together.
- Mix in the mayonnaise.
Braeburn apples originated in New Zealand in the 1950s.
They are named after Braeburn Orchard where they where first commercially grown.