Having seen lots of celeriac in the shops this week, I decided to make some of this lovely soup.
- 1 Celeriac
- 1 Onion – chopped
- 1 litre of chicken stock (can be from cube or concentrate)
- 2-3 allspice grains
- Butter to fry the onion
- Soured cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped flat-leaved parsley to serve
- Peel the celeriac and chop into large chunks.
- Lightly fry the onion in butter till golden.
- Put the celeriac, fried onion and allspice into a pan of chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer with a lid on the pan until the celeriac is soft.
- Leave to cool slightly.
- Purée the soup – a stick blender is good for this.
- Bring the soup back to the boil.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of soured cream and stir.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of soured cream and chopped flat-leaved parsley.
Served here in Royal Stafford – Blossom Time from the 1950s.