Here is a salad made with one of Poland’s favourite vegetables – cabbage.
It is a more fruity variation of a cabbage & orange salad I posted over three years ago!
- A small white cabbage or sweetheart cabbage
- 2 oranges
- 3 eating apples – red skinned for colour contrast.
- 1 tin of pineapples
- 80g raisins or sultanas
- A pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- Dressing – Mayonnaise & pineapple juice
- Peel the oranges removing all the pith.
- Cut them into slices, separate the segments and then chop these into small pieces.
- Finely shred and chop the cabbage
- Core the apples and chop them into small pieces.
- Drain the pineapples from the juice.
- Chop the pineapples into small pieces.
- Mix the cabbage and fruits together.
- Mix mayonnaise and some pineapple juice together to make a thin dressing.
- Add the dressing and mix everything well together.
- You can add salt and pepper here if desired.
Served here in my mother’s vintage glass bowl.
I tend to make this salad a while before it is needed as with the magic of osmosis – raisins become plumped up with the juice from the oranges and pineapple. The dressing becomes sweet from the sugars in the raisins.
This salad goes well with roast dinners, cold smoked meats and Polish style sausages.