I recently returned from a trip to The Netherlands to visit my friend again.
I always have a great time visiting different parts of the country and enjoying the wonderful hospitality.
One dish I have had many times is Koudeschotel – this translates as Cold Dish.
I think it is a sort of “posh cousin” to several Polish cooked salads such as Potato Salad and Mixed Vegetable Salad.
It is often made in large quantities as the centrepiece in a buffet meal.
There is a central mound made with boiled potatoes mashed with mayonnaise, onions, peas, carrots and cooked meat like chicken, pork or beef.
This is then decorated with items such as hard boiled eggs, gherkins, silver-skin onions, prawns or shrimps, asparagus, tomatoes, cooked or smoked meats and dusted with a little sweet paprika.
The koudeschotel on my arrival from England this year.
If the central mound is made without meat it is sometimes called Huzarensalade – Huzar’s Salad.
Ingredients – for the central mound
The original recipe was for a large amount suitable for a big party – I have scaled it down.
- 1 Kg of cold boiled potatoes
- Around 200ml of mayonnaise – real full fat is best
- 100g of cooked peas
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 boiled carrots – diced
- 200g of cooked chicken, pork or beef – shredded (meat used to make soup or stock is good)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Many supermarkets and delicatessens in The Netherlands sell this mixture ready made.
- Mash the potatoes with the mayonnaise.
- Add the peas, carrots, onion and meat and mix well.
- Season to taste.
- Arrange the mixture in the centre of a serving plate.
Decorate with a selection of the following:
- Hard boiled eggs – sliced or quartered
- Gherkins – small or large ones sliced
- Silver-skin onions
- Cooked prawns or shrimps,
- Cooked asparagus spears or slices
- Tomatoes – quartered
- Cooked or smoked meats – chopped or in little slices
- Dusted with a little sweet paprika.
Now is the time to be a little creative with the decoration – I tend to do rows of the different ingredients and dust with sweet paprika at the end.
(For smaller gatherings sometimes the mixture is placed in a bowl and the eggs and gherkins etc are just placed on top)
One day we went to a neighbour’s house for a BBQ and koudeschotel was one of the dishes served with the grilled meats.
We were also served the following two lovely salads –
Cabbage & Pineapple Salad
- Small white cabbage
- 8 rings of fresh or tinned in juice pineapple
- 50 – 80g of raisins
- Soak the raisins in pineapple juice for at least 30 minutes
- Shred and chop the cabbage
- Chop the pineapple rings into small pieces
- Mix the cabbage, pineapple and the raisins in juice together
Salad with Smoked Salmon & Capers
- Crunchy lettuce such as Cos or Little Gem – I used a Red Little Gem
- 100g Smoked Salmon
- 2 or 3 sticks of celery – finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 100g of cooked small sized pasta
- Juice of half a lemon
- Ground black pepper
- Hand tear the lettuce into medium sized pieces.
- Chop the smoked salmon into small pieces.
- Mix the smoked salmon, capers and pasta together and
- Mix this with the lettuce.
- Pour the lemon juice over this and mix.
- Season with black pepper.
- Extra salt should not be needed because of the capers & smoked salmon.
You could serve this as a starter using a few lettuce leaves as a bed on each plate with the smoked salmon mixture in the centre.