- This is a sweet dessert made with cooked pasta.
- Mama would often make this dish when I was young.
- The general word for pasta in Polish is makaron .. from the Italian macaroni or maccheroni which is thought to originate from the Greek makaria – food made from barley!
- If you use home-made noodles or chopped tagliatelle – you could call this łazanki with fruit.
- Amounts of pasta and apples are not that critical.
- 250g cooked small sized pasta
- 500g cooking apples
- 100g & 100g granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs separated
- 50g butter
- Peel and chop the apples.
- Partly cook them with 100g of sugar.
- Leave then slightly chunky.
- Add cinnamon and stir.
- Leave to cool.
- Melt the butter.
- Grease an oven proof dish with some of the butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM4 180°C.
- Mix the pasta with the rest of the butter.
- Whisk the egg yolks with 100g of sugar till pale and frothy.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites.
- Mix the whites with the yolk mixture and whisk again.
- Mix the buttered pasta with the egg and sugar mixture.
- Spread out half the pasta as a layer at the bottom of the dish.
- Put the cooked apples on top of the pasta.
- Spread the rest of the pasta on top of the apples.
- Cook for 40 -50 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- Can be served hot, warm and even cold.
Plate by Johnson Brothers – Snowflake -1960-1979
One thought on “Makaron with Apples”