- This tort is based on a pêche melba – peach melba dessert.
- This is a recipe for a large sponge cake, sandwiched with a filling made from yoghurt cheese or cream cheese and chopped tinned peaches plus a thick raspberry sauce.
- Bake two creamed sponge cakes –
- Using 4 eggs and equal weights of butter, caster sugar and plain flour plus 2½ teaspoons of baking powder.
- Bake in 2 x 21 cm anodised baking tins.
- Leave to go cold completely.
Ingredients – Icing
- 200g yoghurt cheese or cream cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 2-3 drops of vanilla essence
- Peaches drained from a can – chopped
- Peach juice from the tin.
Method – Icing
- Add the vanilla essence to the yoghurt cheese.
- Add the icing sugar bit by bit to the yoghurt cheese until you get the desired sweetness.
- This does not want to be too sweet.
- Mix in the chopped peaches
- Icing sugar to dust
Ingredients – Sauce
- 100g of raspberry jam
- 50ml of water
Method – Sauce
- Put the jam and water into a small saucepan.
- Heat gently and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Heat until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Leave to cool.
Assembling the cake
- Place one of the cakes onto a serving plate or stand.
- Prick the cake with a wooden skewer.
- Sprinkle half the peach juice over the cake.
- Spread half the raspberry sauce over the cake.
- Spread the peach filling on the cake.
- Drizzle the rest of the raspberry sauce on the filling.
- Prick the other cake with a wooden skewer.
- Place the second cake on top of the filling.
- Sprinkle the rest of the peach juice over the cake.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- You could make more filling and slightly cover the sides of the cake – semi-naked.
- You could make more filling and ice the top of the cake as well.