- This is based on an old English recipe.
- They have a shortcrust pastry base with slightly lemony filling.
- They are best made with a rich buttery pastry.
- Shortcrust pastry – Kruche ciasto – from 250g plain flour
- 50g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- Grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of soured cream
- 2eggs & 1 yolk
- 100g ground almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to – GM5
- Butter shallow tart tins.
- Roll out the pastry very thinly.
- Cut out circles to fit and line each tart mould.
- Cream the butter and sugar with the lemon rind.
- Add in the eggs and yolk.
- Mix in the lemon juice and soured cream.
- Mix in the almonds.
- ¾ fill each tart – leaving room for expansion.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes.
- Leave to cool a little before removing them from the tins.
- Served on Royal Standard – Lyndale – 1949 – 1960.