The base of this placek (flat cake) is made with a recipe similar to Ciasto kruche 2 – with cooked egg yolks found in a previous post – Pastry – ciasto kruche & półkruche.
The base is baked, apricot jam and bottled sour cherries are placed on top, this is topped with meringue and cooked again.
A few stages but well worth the effort. It is delicious with a lovely balance of sweetness against the sour cherries.
- 300g plain flour
- 200g butter – chilled
- 100g & 150g icing sugar
- 3 eggs separated
- pinch or two of salt
- Fine grated rind of 1 lemon – optional
- 250ml of apricot jam – approx
- 1/2 – 3/4 of a jar of morello/sour cherries
Cook the egg yolks
- Separate the raw yolks from the whites.
- Place the yolks in a colander and cook over hot water.
- Use a fork to break up the yolks into very small pieces.
- Leave to go cold.
Make the base
- Add a pinch of salt to the flour.
- Use a knife to cut the chilled butter into small pieces into the flour and then use your fingers to make the mixture like breadcrumbs.
- Add the 100g of icing sugar and mix this together.
- Add the broken up yolks and gently mix this in then and bring it all together into a dough – try and handle the pastry as little as possible.
- Form the dough into a rough rectangle.
- Wrap the dough in greaseproof paper and chill it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM 7 – 220°C.
- Grease and line a 33 x 23 cm baking tin.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough a little
- Press the dough into the tin – filling it up the all the sides.
- Prick the surface with a fork.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes till golden.
- Leave to cool.
Toppings and meringue
- Lower the oven to GM 1 -140°C
- Place the whites into a grease free bowl.
- Whisk till stiff.
- Add the 150g of icing sugar and whisk again till stiff.
- Spread the jam thickly over the base
- Drain the sour cherries and pat them dry.
- Arrange the cherries over the jam.
- Spread the meringue over the cherries taking it up to the edges.
- Put back into the low heat oven for 45 to 60 minutes.
Cut the cake into squares when cool to serve.
Served here on Duchess – Bramble Rose tea plates from the 1960s.
One thought on “Placek-with sour cherries & meringue”