Ribes uva cripa – agrest in Polish – gooseberries are related to black and red currants.
Gooseberries are the first soft fruits of the summer. They grow well in cooler climates. These gooseberries were picked the evening before this placek was made.
This placek – flat-cake has the lovely contrast of the sweet cake against the tart fruit.
- 400-450g of gooseberries
- 250g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 3 eggs
- 360g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons of yoghurt
- Icing sugar to dust
- Pre-heat oven to GM4 – 180°C.
- Grease and use one sheet of greaseproof to line two sides and base of a 32 x 22cm baking tin.
- Top and tail the gooseberries.
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add the eggs one by one and continue creaming.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder.
- Gently mix in the flour.
- Add yoghurt to make a soft dough.
- Lightly press the dough into the baking tin.
- Scatter the gooseberries on top.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire cake rack.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.