This is a simple soup, which I make using vegetable stock although you can use chicken stock if you prefer.
- 3-4 Leeks
- 1 litre of vegetable stock (I use Marigold powder)
- 125ml soured cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Butter to fry leeks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To serve – chopped chives or a little grated Gouda style cheese.
- Chop the leeks into fine rounds.
- Fry the leeks gently in butter to soften then.
- Add them to the stock.
- Bring to the boil and put a lid on the pan.
- Simmer gently until the leeks are soft.
- Take the pan off the heat for a few minutes.
- Purée the soup – a stick blender is good for this.
- Season to taste.
- In a small bowl mix the soured cream and egg yolks.
- Bring the soup back up to the boil and then take take of the heat.
- Add the soured cream mix and whisk in.
- Serve with some chopped chives or around a tablespoon of grated Gouda style cheese.
Served in Soup Dishes by Midwinter – Spanish Garden – 1966 – 1982.