I decided to make a chocolate cake I had not made for a while. Raspberry jam is used in the cake and in the butter cream. The best results are with a jam that is not too sweet – a slight tartness is best.
I used raspberry jam that was made by my friend in Leeds from raspberries that were grown on her allotment.
- 150g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 30g cocoa
- 90g caster sugar
- 120g butter
- 4 level tablespoons of raspberry jam
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5 – 190°C.
- Grease and line the bottoms of 2 – 18cm diameter baking tins.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and cocoa together.
- Cream the butter, sugar and jam together.
- Add the eggs bit by bit .
- Fold in the flour mixture with the milk to make a soft dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- When cold, sandwich together with the raspberry butter icing.
- Dust the top with icing sugar to serve.
Raspberry Butter Icing
- 60g butter
- 2 tablespoons of raspberry jam.
- 120g icing sugar.
- Cream together the butter, jam and around ¾of of the icing sugar.
- Add more icing sugar until the required consistency is achieved.
- Coffee set – Greenway – by Hostess Tableware – 1960 – 1979
- Designed by John Russell