Caraway seeds give this soup a wonderful taste and make it very different from an English style leek & potato soup.
- 3-4 leeks
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock (I use Marigold powder)
- 2 teaspoons of caraway seeds.
- Butter to fry leeks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnishes to serve – chopped chives or flat-leaved parsley.
- Put the stock into a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Peel the potatoes and chop into small rough cubes.
- Add the potatoes to the stock.
- Add the caraway seeds.
- Leave to simmer.
- Chop the leeks into circles and then quarter these.
- Gently fry these in butter to soften but not to brown them.
- Add the leeks to the stock and potatoes.
- Put a lid on the pan.
- Leave to cook on a medium simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Serve garnished with chopped chives or flat-leaved parsley.
Served in Royal Doulton – Carnation – 1982 – 1998