- These drożdżówki – sweet yeast buns – with whinberries(bilberries) get their own name.
- Jagodówki or Jagodzianki – – Jagody being whinberries.
- These grew in abundance in the woods near where both my mother and father used to live in the North East of the then Poland.
- I imagine both my grandmothers baking these when the fruit was ripe in summer.
- Some also grew in the area of Lancashire where I was brought up and we often picked these.
- If you are lucky enough to have these growing near you – go and pick them and bake.
- Otherwise use imported blueberries – their big American cousins.
There are 3 ways to make the filling:
- Berries sprinkled with granulated sugar and left for a while.
- Berries sprinkled with granulated sugar and cooked in a pan for a few minutes.
- Use blueberry jam.
Ingredients – Buns
- 200g & 50g plain flour
- 150 ml warm milk
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon of dried yeast
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 60g granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Egg white for brushing – beaten
Ingredients – crumble topping – kruszonka
- 30g plain flour
- 20g butter
- 20g granulated sugar
Method – crumble topping – kruszonka
- Rub the butter into the flour to get breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
Method – Buns
- Mix the milk, yeast, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 50g of plain flour.
- Leave for 20 minutes.
- Put the 200g of plain flour, 60g of sugar, salt, yolks and yeast mixture in a bowl.
- Mix together to form a soft dough.
- Add a little extra milk if this is too dry.
- Knead for 10 minutes – set a timer – till you get a smooth ball.
- Cover and leave for 1½ – 2 hours.
- Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Lightly knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6.
- Roll each one to make a ball and then flatten it.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling in the centre.
- Take the edges of the dough and bring together and seal.
- Place the balls, sealed side down, on the baking tray.
- Brush with beaten egg white.
- Sprinkle the kruszonka – crumble mixture over the top
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM6 – 200°C.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.