- My mother usually served cauliflower with buttery dried breadcrumbs –
- Known as – à la polonaise.
- In England cauliflower is often served with a cheese sauce.
- I often make potato croquettes – krokiety kartoflane
- I saw this recipe and thought it sounds like the two combined.
- They were delicious.
- ½ of a large cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3 tablespoon of plain flower
- 200ml milk
- 50g grated cheese – Cheddar or Gouda
- 1 egg – beaten
- More plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the cauliflower by boiling or steaming.
- Leave to go completely cold.
- Remove any liquid with a clean tea towel or kitchen roll.
- Mash the cauliflower with a potato masher.
- Make a very thick cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook together, stirring all the time.
- Slowly add the milk and keep stirring until you have a thick sauce.
- Add the cheese and cook a little more.
- Stir in the cauliflower.
- Mix all together to have a uniform mixture.
- Season to taste.
- Leave to cool.
- You need 3 plates or shallow dishes –
- Flour in one, beaten egg in the second, dried breadcrumbs in the third.
- Divide the cauliflower cheese mixture into 12 even pieces.
- Roll them out into sausage shapes.
- Dip in the flour and then in the egg.
- Roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the croquettes on all sides till golden – 3 or 4 at a a time.
- Keep them warm in a low oven, whilst frying the rest.
Though not tried yet – I think you could do variations by – adding cooked peas or chilli flakes or similar to the mixture.
One thought on “Cauliflower Croquettes”
I will definitely try these
LikeLiked by 1 person