- I have been looking for a good recipe, which uses yoghurt but not always with much success.
- I came across this one the other week and tried it out.
- Although I made a few alterations – I found that this is the best I have come across.
- The texture is good and the taste is super.
- I learnt a new tip, which was to add the lemon rind to the sugar for about 30 minutes – this releases more lemon oil.
- I am going to adapt this to make an orange version very soon.
- 200g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 200g granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 185ml of Greek style Yoghurt
- 3 eggs
- 120ml sunflower oil
- Large pinch of salt
- Add the zest to the sugar and leave for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM4 – 180ºC.
- Use a loaf liner to line a 2 lb loaf tin.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the yoghurt and eggs to the sugar mixture.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add the oil and mix well again.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for around 45 to 50 minutes.
- Check a little earlier and cover with greaseproof paper if it is starting to burn.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
Lemon Icing – Ingredients
- 100g icing sugar – approx
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Lemon Icing – Method
- Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice.
- Adjust sugar or juice to make a thin pouring icing.
- Once the cake is cold, pour this over the cake.
- Smooth down with a warm spatula.
Tea plates – Greenway Hostess by John Russell from the 1`960s.