- I have been looking for a good recipe, which uses yoghurt but not always with much success.
- I came across this one for a lemon yoghurt cake the other week and tried it out.
- The texture was good and I thought – why not try an orange version.
- I learnt a tip, which was to add the orange rind to the sugar for about 30 minutes – this adds to the flavour.
- 200g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 200g granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 185ml of Greek style yoghurt
- 3 eggs
- 120ml sunflower oil
- Large pinch of salt
- Add the zest to the sugar and leave for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM4 – 180ºC.
- Use a loaf liner to line a 2 lb loaf tin.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the yoghurt and eggs to the sugar mixture.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add the oil and mix well again.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for around 40 to 45 minutes.
- Check a little earlier and cover with greaseproof paper if it is starting to burn.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
Orange Icing – Ingredients
- 100g icing sugar – approx
- 1½ tablespoon of orange juice
- Zest of half a large orange
Orange Icing – Method
- Mix the icing sugar with the orange juice and zest.
- Adjust sugar or juice to make a thin pouring icing.
- Once the cake is cold, pour this over the cake.
- Smooth down with a warm spatula.
Served on tea plates Lyndale by Royal Standard.
Note – if you want a thicker icing or more on the sides then increase the sugar to 150g and use more orange juice.