- I think coconut is a relatively new ingredient in Polish cookery.
- I am sure my mother did not use it.
- Most Polish recipes that I that I have seen are for cakes that are similar to sweets called Raffaello – introduced by Ferrero in 1990.
- This recipe is the same as Makaroniki – Almond Macaroons with coconut instead of almonds.
- They are so easy to make and a good use for spare egg whites.
- Did you know that botanically coconuts are not a nut but a drupe (stone fruit) similar to a plum or a peach?
- 2 egg whites
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g desiccated coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to GM 3 – 160°C
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper
- Mix the sugar and coconut together.
- Whisk the egg white till they form stiff peaks.
- Fold in the coconut mixture carefully until well mixed.
- Place tablespoons of the mixture on the baking sheets.
- Flatten them down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly before removing them onto a wire rack.
Vintage Glass Dish