- After cooking grilled gammon and apricots I thought about making the dish with a larger gammon joint.
- Mine was around – 1kg.
- I think this is best with an unsmoked joint.
- Tinned apricots in syrup are best.
- Unsmoked gammon joint – 1kg or more
- Tin of apricots in syrup
- 1 tablespoon of potato or corn flour – optional
- Sugar – optional
- Pre-heat the oven to GM5 – 190° C.
- This is best cooked in an enamelled tin with a lid.
- Empty the apricots and the syrup into the base of the baking tin.
- Place gammon joint on top.
- Place the lid over the tin.
- Place in the oven and cook for the time specified for that weight of meat.
- Just before the cooking time is up seperate the apricots and the meat.
- Put the meat back into the oven with the lid on the tin.
- Put the apricots into a small saucepan and heat up a little whilst stirring.
- The apricots should have become a thick pulp with just a few large pieces.
- Though this will depend on the size of the joint.
- Mix the potato flour or cornflour with a little water.
- Stir this into the apricots and heat gently with stirring to thicken the sauce.
- Sweeten the sauce with sugar to taste.
- Slice up the joint and serve with the sauce.
Meakin serving plate and Royal Doulton Burgundy dinner plate.
Thought – will be trying this with a pork loin joint next!