For this recipe you can use twaróg, curd cheese, cream cheese or yoghurt cheese but it is quite a bit different from my usual Polish baked cheesecake.
It is a more a ground almond cake with strawberries on top.
I used the last pickings of strawberries from my garden this summer.
I used my own yoghurt cheese and squeezed it out in a cloth to get rid of as much excess liquid (whey) as possible.
- 115g Butter
- 115g Caster sugar
- 3 eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour or potato flour
- 175g Ground almonds
- 200g Twaróg , Curd cheese or Yoghurt Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- Strawberries & 1/2 tablespoon of caster sugar
- Optional – Icing sugar to dust
- Line a 20cm in diameter loose bottomed cake tin with a bought paper cake liner.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM5 190°C
- Cream the butter and sugar until they are soft and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one by one until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence and the salt and mix in.
- Add the cornflour, ground almonds and the yoghurt cheese and mix together thoroughly.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff.
- Fold in the egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Put the cake mixture into the lined tin.
- Slice the strawberries and place these on the top and sprinkle them with the sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to GM2 – 150°C and bake for around another 30 minutes.
- Switch off the oven but leave the cake in there until it is cool.
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator but bring to room temperature for serving.
- Served here on tea plates – Las Palmas by Aynsley from the 1960s.
- More strawberries on to top would have been okay.
- Other red summer fruits such as raspberries, blackberries or whinberries (bilberries) would also work well.
4 thoughts on “Not Quite a Cheesecake”
Am on hol away from computer will reply in 2 weeks when I get home.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I used this recipe on 5 April 2019 & realised I had left a step out in the instructions (had not mentioned the ground almonds!).
So I have edited the instructions & updated the post.