Croutons are called grzanki in Polish – the word is plural and means something that have been heated up.
Rye bread croutons are used as a soup accompaniment.
- Several slices of rye bread
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil (not virgin)
I used some of my own sour dough loaf.
- Pre-heat the oven to GM4 – 180°C
- Cut the bread into small cubes
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Toss the bread cubes in the oil and fry gently for a few minutes.
Place the cubes onto a baking tray and put in the oven for around 5 – 10 minutes till golden.
Add several to each serving of soup.
Sprinkle with salt flakes or ground salt and eat them as a nibble or little snack.