A variation on a simple celeriac soup with two options on how to serve.
- 1 Celeriac
- 3 Large carrots
- 1 Onion – chopped
- 1.5 litres of chicken stock (can be from cube or concentrate)
- 2-3 Allspice grains
- Butter to fry the onion
- 5 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To serve
- Soured cream or
- Fried potatoes & charred onions
- Peel the celeriac and chop into large chunks.
- Peel the carrots and cut into large chunks
- Lightly fry the onion in butter till golden.
- Put the celeriac, carrots, fried onion and allspice into a pan of chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer with a lid on the pan until the celeriac and carrots are soft.
- Leave to cool slightly.
- Purée the soup – a stick blender is good for this.
- Add the tomato ketchup.
- Season to taste.
- Bring the soup back to the boil for a couple of minutes.
To serve – 1
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of soured cream and stir.
To serve – 2
- Serve with fried potatoes and charred onions.
Served in Royal Doulton – Tapestry – 1966 – 1998