- This tort – layer cake – mimics a pêche melba – peach melba dessert .
- It is a recipe for a fat free sponge cake, sandwiched with a filling made from yoghurt cheese or cream cheese and puréed tinned peaches plus a thick raspberry sauce.
- I used an English quick style version of the sponge cake.
Ingredients -Fat Free sponge
- 4 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
Method – Fat Free sponge
- Pre-heat the oven to GM4 – 180°C
- Grease and line the base of two 18cm diameter baking tins.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and caster sugar until they are pale and creamy.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder together.
- Gently fold in the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Tin of peaches
- 200g of yoghurt cheese or cream cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons of icing sugar
Method – Filling
- Drain the peaches from the juice/syrup.
- Save the juice.
- Chop the peaches and then purée them.
- Mix together the yoghurt cheese and the puréed peaches.
- Add the sugar – do not make it too sweet.
Ingredients – Raspberry Sauce
- 100g of raspberry jam
- 50ml of water
Method – Raspberry Sauce
- Put the jam and water into a small saucepan.
- Heat gently and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Heat until the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Leave to cool.
Assembling the cake
- Place one of the cakes onto a serving plate or stand.
- Prick the cake with a wooden skewer.
- Sprinkle half the peach juice over the cake.
- Spread half the raspberry sauce over the cake.
- Spread the peach filling on the cake. (You might not need all of it)
- Drizzle the rest of the raspberry sauce on the filling.
- Prick the other cake with a wooden skewer.
- Place the second cake on top.
- Sprinkle the rest of the peach juice over the cake.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- There is more than enough filling with this size cake.
- You might try using some to slightly cover the sides of the cake as well.
- This modern spreading of the icing is called “semi-naked”.
One thought on “Tort Melba – Fat Free Sponge”