This is a new recipe for a babka – it is very moist and tastes delicious.
I serve it just dusted with icing sugar but you could add a thin chocolate glaze.
- 225g Butter or Block Margarine
- 225g Caster Sugar
- Finely grated zest and the juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons of apricot jam
- 4 eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 50g of cocoa
Pre-heat the oven to GM3 – 160°C
Grease & flour well a large babka tin, tapping away any excess.
- Beat well together the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs well and gradually add them, beating the mixture after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla essence, apricot jam, orange zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder and cocoa together.
- Fold the flour mixture into the beaten mixture.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the babka tin and level the top.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes until the babka has risen and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes in the tin, then turn this out onto a wire cake rack to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Served on Crown – fine bone china – England (no pattern name given).