Several years ago after a large family gathering I had some gherkin and tomato salad left and decided to use this to make a soup.
It was really delicious and I now often make this soup either from left over salad or create it from scratch.
It is one of those refreshing summer style soups with a touch of sourness as loved by the Poles.
- 8 tomatoes
- 4 gherkins
- 1 onion
- 1 litre of vegetable stock – I use Marigold powder
- 60ml of gherkin liquid.
- Chopped chives
- Chopped parsley
- Ground black pepper to taste.
- Slice the tomatoes and cut the slices in two.
- Chop the onion fine.
- Slice the gherkins and cut the slices into two.
- Put all the ingredients(apart from the ground pepper) into a saucepan, bring to the boil and then let this simmer for around 30 – 40 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
Served in Royal Doulton, Burgundy soup plates, 1959 – 1981.