Recently I have been watching my box set of Fawlty Towers DVDs, which is still so amusing after all these years.
Whilst watching the episode with the American guest and the Waldorf salad – when famously Basil Fawlty says “I think we’re just out of waldorfs” – I thought – I have never actually had that -must look it up and make it!
Waldorf salad was created by Oscar Tschirky, a Swiss-American, at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York in 1896.
The original was made with celery, apple and grapes – nuts were added a bit later.
Either use green skinned apples for an all green look or red skinned for a nice contrast.
Toasted walnuts are delicious – just take care and watch them so you do not burn them!
- 6 sticks of celery
- 2 eating apples – Braeburn are good
- 100g walnuts – toasted
- 100 -150g of seedless green grapes
- 2-3 tablespoons of full fat mayonnaise
- Juice of half a lemon
- Crispy lettuce leaves to serve
- Trim the celery and cut into small slices.
- Core the apples and chop into small pieces
- Chop the toasted walnut into small pieces
- Cut the grapes into halves
- Mix the celery, apples, nuts and grapes together
- Mix the mayonnaise with the lemon juice
- Mix the dressing with the salad
- Hand shred the lettuce leaves and put them in the bottom of a shallow bowl
- Heap the salad on top of the lettuce
For individual servings put one or two lettuce leaves per person in a small dish and spoon some salad in the middle.