I was sorting out my recipe box notes and cuttings when I came across this recipe from one of my cousins in Białystok for a salad made from carrots, leeks and apples.
I had not noted down whether the leeks were just sliced or if they were blanched as well so I tried both ways and both salads were super.
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 leek
- 1- 2 eating apples – Braeburns are good
- Juice of a lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons of Mayonnaise
- Salt & pepper to taste
Method – 1
- Grate the carrots using a coarse grater.
- Thinly slice the leeks and cut the rings into halve or quarters.
- Core the apple and chop into small chunks.
- Pore the lemon juice over the salad.
- Add the mayonnaise and mix well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Method – 2
- As above except for the leeks.
- Put the cut leeks into hot water and simmer for a few minutes.
- Allow the leeks to cool.
- Drain the leeks and pat dry with kitchen roll or a clean tea towel.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
I just love cake stands. They make the cakes look really special.
I started of with a few glass ones I got from my mother and now have at least seventeen.
Most are old, bought from charity shops and car boot sales.
I have also started buying china tiered ones. These look better just placed around the dining room but I sometimes use them for small cakes, chocolates or fruit.
A Selection of my Cake Stands
An Egg Cup Holder. The egg cups were missing when I bought this.
Babeczki for Wigilia – Christmas Eve – with Poppy Seed filling on a Christmas Stand